Friday 14 August 2015

Dedication to Family

With all great fortune kept in mind, I am so lucky to have been born into my wonderful family. Dynamically different but bonded by blood and love, I find moments with any one of them, or a small group of them, or, miraculously, all of the them quite terrific and fulfilling.

As I was organizing my upcoming year of 2015 I noticed that a couple of my nieces had asked me to attend special events with them. Jodi requested a ski trip; Lisa wanted my participation in her 50 Years Old Bash (a sprint triathlon); and Karen wondered about a trip to Disneyland in October with her and her son, my great-nephew, Connor. As I jotted in the potential dates I paused and then said loud and clear, "I believe I will make 2015 the Year of the Nieces!" Why would I plan just three activities with three nieces when I have many more?

With a flurry on the keyboard I sent out a message to each one of them (niece-in-laws included) with a proposal: Let me know what you would like to do this year and I will be there to cheer, participate, support, and bond. Because of this I have multiple craft days with one niece, two Half Marathons with two more nieces, an exercise/fitness extravaganza at Physique! where my niece is employed and serves as lead instructor, fitness short run and expo with niece and her daughter, and a trip to Ogden, Utah for the Sundance Film Festival. Of course extra fun will crop up during the year, but I have my initial outline fleshed out.

The Sundance Film Festival was completed with niece Julene this last weekend. Awesome and fantastic minimalize the joy of our time together. She flew in from her hometown and I drove from mine, picking her up at the airport. After lunch and shopping in downtown Salt Lake City, we headed north to Ogden. The College of Idaho, Julene's alma mater, had organized a two-day festival for 30 of us. This included a great hotel steps from the Egyptian Theater (a masterpiece of design), welcome reception, dinner, box tickets, hors d'oeuvres and beverages, and desserts delivered from heaven. The set-up was perfect, and the films??? Incredible.

Our first film was Stockholm, Pennsylvania written and directed by Nicole Beckwith. The acting, directing, filming, and entire magic of the film are astonishing and the ending is one that no one would every suspect and it is mind-blowing. After the film, Ms Beckwith was present for a Q&A session. Her explanation of her writing, the script, overall planning, and her insight into the mind and human relationships are extraordinary. I rank it in my Top 10 Best Films ever. Rarely have I left a film with so many quotes in mind, shivers down my spine, and thoughts intertwined.

The second film, 71, also provoked thought and astonishment. It is a film that I now know requires a second viewing to catch all of the intricacies I missed during the first. I also must brush up on my knowledge of the Catholic/Protestant fighting in Ireland in 1971. Yann Demange, director, and Gregory Burke, writer, have created a masterpiece.

And while you have snippets and glimpses of our adventures, the essential ingredient of the weekend was one-on-one time together - Aunt and Niece; Niece and Aunt. Our memories will glimmer forever. So I request of you, think of family you love and hold dear. Find ways to spend precious, individual time with each of them, or with as many of them as possible. The rewards will be substantial and the music to your heart will echo forever. And as for the Year of the Nephews? That is coming up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment